Sunday, January 17, 2010

Manifesto-ing...

EDIT: For some reason, this post disappeared for a while today. It's back now--sorry!

My imaginary magazine is a noir publication called Spade. The name is a tribute to Dashiel Hammett's character Sam Spade, the protagonist in The Maltese Falcon. I would want the magazine to give young writers with a lot of potential a place to publish, so it would be pretty simple overall, but would (I hope) be good enough to attract attention from readers.

noir (nwär) adj. 1. Of or relating to the film noir genre. 2. Of or relating to a genre of crime literature featuring tough, cynical characters and bleak settings. 3. Suggestive of danger or violence.


Spade is dedicated to spreading around good, old-fashioned smut and violence. No frills, no apologies. Just a revitalization of classic crime fiction, all authored by writers born after the Cold War.

Not sure what we're looking for? Read up a little:

Film Noir (definition)
The Maltese Falcon on Google Books
The Big Sleep (excerpt, film by Howard Hawks)

Send us your short stories, artwork, graphic novellas, photography--anything that makes us want to revive Bogart, Cagney, and Widmark so they can be in the movie version. Take your readers back in time, and we'll help you move forward.

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for good, old-fashioned smut and violence. I'm Kate, and I'm in your 549 blog group. Follow me at kateconnect.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Jen. I am always amazed at what comes out it your blogs...it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete